Videos: “Using the Content Editor”
Vendor documentation: “Using the Content Editor”
Information on this page:
Adding Content: Items and Files
The course materials you choose to put on your Blackboard site may include a syllabus, readings, assignments, readings, lecture notes, presentations, lab instructions, and more. Content can be posted to your site in several different ways – as text, an embedded image or media file, an HTML document, or as a file that can be downloaded, viewed and printed.
The first two content types, items and files, are very similar; the primary difference is that with items, you are able to add a description and attach files. Adding Files will create a link to a file, students can click on the link to view it in browser and/or download to their computer.
|Example of an Item added to content:|
|Example of a File added to content:|
To add an item:
- In the Course Menu, click on the name of the content area that you will be working with.
- Hover your mouse over Build Content. and select Item.
- Give your item a name. In the text box, type or paste text for the item name.
This is optional, but you can use the Text Area for short amounts of content, to describe the file you have attached, give instructions, or note the date that the file was last updated.
- There are two views, the simple mode and the advanced mode. Change between each view in the upper right hand corner of the content editor by clicking on the arrows:
NOTE I: You can automatically paste text from Word. However, you must copy and paste text and images from Word separately.
NOTE II: There is a difference if you copy and paste an image from Word from if you click the “Insert/Edit image” button and upload that way. The pasted from Word image will be rendered slightly smaller than it’s original size.
To add a file as an attachment to your content item:
- Click Browse My Computer.
- Find the file on your computer. Once the file is uploaded, it will be listed under Attached Files. You may change the wording on the link in the box under Link Title. Common formats for course materials include:
- Word documents (.doc)
- Adobe PDF documents (.pdf)
- Excel spreadsheets (.xls)
- PowerPoint presentations (.ppt)
- Graphics (.jpg, .gif)
- Video clips (.mov, .wmv, .mpg)
- HTML files (.htm, .html)
- If you decide to not attach a file, click the Do Not Attach link.
- After your file(s) is(are) uploaded, select the appropriate options:
Permit Users to View the Content
allows you to add the material but keep it from being visible to students.
Track Number of Views
records statistics about how many times the item is accessed. Statistics can be summarized by user, by date, by day of the week, or by time of day.
allows you to specify the time period (by date and time) that your item will be available, or visible, to students. When you add content items to your course, you may not want students accessing them right away. By using Date Restrictions, you will not have to go back into the Control Panel to activate or deactivate the item later on – Blackboard will do the work for you.
- Click Submit to add the content item to your site
To modify an item:
- Click the downward chevron next to the name of the item you want to modify, then select Edit
- At this point, you can add or edit text, upload additional files, or adjust options
- Click the Submit button to save your changes
Adding Images, URLs, and Audio or Video
Adding images is very similar to adding an item with an attachment, with the primary difference being the available options.
To add an image:
- Select the appropriate item from the Build Content menu
- Browse for the file on your computer
- Choose the options that you want for your file. For example, you can change the dimensions, add a border, or add a link
To add a URL:
- Select Build Content
- Click Web Link
- In the Name Box, type a title for the web resource
- In the description box, type a description for the resource. This is optional, but the description is a good place to tell your users a little bit about the site, highlight things to look for, or give instructions for where to click
- Decide whether to launch the item in an external window
- Click the Submit button to create the link
To add audio or video:
Cornell uses the Kaltura plugin which will allow you to add audio and video to your Blackboard course. Kaltura uploads your audio or video and compresses it in a format that can be streamed to any browser. See Working with Video for instructions for using Kaltura.
To delete a content item:
- Hover your mouse over the area to the right of the name of the content area
- Select Delete