Vendor documentation: “Course Messages“
Course messages are private and secure text-based communication that occurs within your course and among course members. Although similar to email, you must be logged in to a course to read and send course messages.
Advantages of using Course Messages:
- Problems with incorrect or undeliverable student email addresses do not affect course communication.
- Instructor and Student have a record of exchanged communication in the course.
- Course messages are private and secure text-based communication that occurs within a course and among course members.
How are students Notified?
Users can manage their notification settings to include course messages and set preferences. Users would receive email or text notifying them that there’s a message for them in the course. The text of the message is not included in the email or text message.
How to Send a Course Message:
- On the course menu, click the Tools link. On the Tools page, click Course Messages, (or on the Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section and click Course Messages).
- On the Course Messages page, click Create Message on the action bar.
- On the Compose Message page, click To to see a list of course members.
- Select the recipients in the select recipients box and click the right-pointing arrow to move them to the Recipients box. You can use the Cc, and Bcc functions to send the message to those users that may be interested in the message, but are not the primary recipients.
- Type the Subject and Body.
- Click Submit.