You can create a group assignment and release it to one or more groups within your course. Each group submits one collaborative assignment and all members receive the same grade. You can create a single assignment and assign it to all groups, or create several unique assignments and assign them to individual groups. Only you and the members in a group have access to the assignment.
The overall grade for an assignment can appear to users as a numeric value, letter grade, percentage, text, or as complete/incomplete. You can choose the primary display for the group assignment column created automatically in the Grade Center.
Before You Begin
- A course group must exist prior to creating group assignments for it.
- Students who are enrolled in more than one group receiving the same assignment will be able to submit more than one attempt for this assignment. You may need to provide these students with an overall grade for the assignment.
- Students who are not enrolled at the time that a group assignment has been submitted do not have access to that submission. These students can see only that the submission occurred.
- Students who you remove from a group cannot see the group assignments. They can access their submissions from My Grades.
- If you edit the assignment between creation and the due date, the entire group may lose any work already in progress.
- If you delete a group from the assignment after they have begun the work and prior to submission, they will lose access to the assignment and lose their work
How to Create a Group Assignment
In your course content area select Assignment from the Assessment action menu. Follow Creating an Assignment instructions. In the Submission Details section, make sure to select the option for “Group” and select which groups would have access to the assignment.
In the following example, the group assignment appears in the Assignments content area where it was created and on the group homepage. The following image shows the instructor view.
About Multiple Attempts
You can allow students to submit their work for a group assignment more than once. The group can receive feedback and a grade for each submission.
When you allow multiple attempts for an assignment, you can also select which attempt to use in the Grade Center from the Score attempts using drop-down list.