Information on this page:
Folders in your course site function in the same way as folders or directories on your hard drive; you can use them to group related documents and information. You will want to create folders and use them to organize the documents you place on your course site. This will help you locate documents more quickly when editing, and it will make the site easier for students navigate.
To create a folder:
- In the content area, select Build Content.
- Click Content Folder.
- Give the folder a name and a description, then click Submit.
- Click on the folder name to display the contents of the folder.
- Check the “breadcrumb trail” near the top of the screen to make sure that you are inside the appropriate folder.
Copying and Moving Folders and Content
If you decide to reorganize your materials after you’ve created and uploaded them, you can move or copy the items to another location in your course. You can even copy materials to other courses (if you have instructor privileges).
To move or copy content:
- Click the down arrow to the right of the item.
- Select Copy or Move.
- If you are moving or copying the content to another course, choose the appropriate course name from the Destination Course menu. This menu will display all of the courses for which you have instructor or administrator privileges.
- Click the Browse button to select a destination.
- Choose the section or subfolder where you’d like to place the item and click Submit. The path to that location will appear in the Destination Folder box.
- Click the Submit button.
- Test the site to make sure the content is in the desired location.
Once you have added multiple documents and folders to a section, you may wish to reorder the items. To do so, click on the up-and-down arrow to the left of the item you wish to move, and drag the item to a new location.
To change the order of your items using ‘Reorder Content’:
You may also reorder items using the Reorder Content feature. This can be useful if you have several large items in your content area. To use this feature, click on the arrows at the right of the creation buttons:
Select the item you want to move, then use the arrow icons to move the item up or down in the list.
You can create course links to take users from one place in your site to another. Course links can help you guide students through the content in your site, create a more web-like structure, and can be used in announcements to highlight new content.
Note: you cannot create a course link directly to files (like PDFs) that you have uploaded, only to the Bb content items with which they are associated.
This means that, if you have uploaded a file using the “link to file” option, users will still have to click on that link to view or print the file.
To add a course link from a content area:
- Click the down arrow to the right of Build Content.
- Click Course Link.
- Choose the Browse button next to Choose Item. The Blackboard course browser will open in a small window.
- In the Name box, type a title for the course link. (optional) In the Text box, type a description for the link.
- Click the name of the section, folder or document you want to link to. Use the+ or– signs to expand / contract folders if necessary.
- In the Name box, type a title for the course link. The path to the location will appear in the Location box. (Optional) provide a description for the link.
- Click the Submit button. You should now see the path to the syllabus in the Link Location box.
- Click the Submit button to create the course link. Course links can also be added to Announcements. For more information, see the page on Announcements.