|Video:||“Your Course Environment“|
The Course Menu is visible to everyone who can access your site and is used for course navigation. When your course is created, some items are included in your menu by default. You can modify or delete these items and add your own items. The types of items that can be included in the Course menu include:
Contains content items such as readings, handouts, assignments, quizzes, and links.
A link to a tool such as a discussion board, blog, or wiki.
A link to a specific point in the course.
A link to another site on the Web.
A page containing modules, such as a Dictionary Module, a Thesaurus Module, a Calculator, or library information.
This is used to add a subheader to your menu. It does not link to anything and so may confuse users.
A line used to separate items in the Course Menu.
|In order to edit the Course Menu, you need to set Edit Mode to “On” in the top right corner of the screen.
To add an item to the Course Menu:
- Click on the plus sign above the Course Menu.
- Select the type of item you want to add.
To rename an item on the Course Menu:
- Click on the down arrow to the right of the menu item.
- Select Rename Link. The menu item becomes a text box where you can change the item name.
- Type in the new name.
- Click the Green Check Mark to the right, or Click the Red X to cancel.
To make a course menu item link unavailable:
- Click on the downward arrow to the right of the menu item.
- Select ‘Hide Link’. Hiding the link allows you to not display an item to students without deleting it. For example, you may have a content item that you don’t want to show until mid-semester – you can continue to build content and show the item when you are ready. Items which are hidden have an icon (a square with a slash through it) next to the name.
- If an item is hidden, you can show it again by choosing the ‘Show Link’ item from the drop-down menu that is displayed when you click the downward arrow.
To reorder items in the course menu:
Click on the up-and-down arrow to the left of the menu item and drag it to a new location in the menu list.